View Single Post
Old 04-21-2020, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfred View Post
Hi Captain Jim!

Do you mean the "iZotope Spire Studio Portable Recorder" I see on Amazon for $295? Reading back in the thread, I realize this Father wants something for his child just to record and not video too, and I see now how the Spire would be simple and great to use. Do you mean you couple the Spire with your iPhone or iPad for the camera part of it in order to create a video? I don't have either type of phone or pad just a desktop PC, and a laptop that are both about 9 yrs old and no camera lenses on them. I have just a small Skype type of lens I've never used yet. It's one that you clip to the top center of your flat screen... but it's the real minimal kind of lens, to me not of a nice enough quality as I'd like to get. I think iPhones are Apple aren't they? So if I pay for a Spire plus a nicer phone (I have a cheap smart phone that was free for Seniors via a charity) wouldn't I with the Spire spend maybe close to $500? How complex is the Zoom q8 or the other one, the h4n Pro? Do you like the $220 q2n-4k? I kind of have a feeling getting the q2n-4k as buying problems... but maybe not. Would in my case I be better off getting one of the Zooms?

Thanks! Winfred
Hi Winfred. I have not used the Spire Studio for putting audio on a video. The Spire Studio is great for recording - you can layer up to 8 tracks. The iPhone or iPad is, to me, essential to get the most out of the Spire Studio: your device connects to the Spire and you get SO MUCH more out of the Spire. The Spire can be used alone, but is more functional when controlled with an iPhone or iPad.

I have no hands-on experience with the q2n-4k, but I have used the H4n Pro, both as a recorder and for feeding audio to a video. For what I am doing with video, it was more work than it was worth. I found the H4n Pro very clumsy to use - too many fussy wheel turns and button pushes to work your way through the menus.

Currently, for YouTube videos, I am using a Shure MV88+ video kit, which essentially is a small condenser mic that is attached to the iPhone, significantly enhancing the audio when using the iPhone's video capability (which is plenty enough for me).

Yes, iPhone and iPads are Apple products. I think you would be into it for more than $500 if you were to buy a Spire Studio and an older generation Apple device.

If the phone you are currently using is capable of recording video, you can use the onboard mic of that device and not have to spend any additional $$. I find the onboard mic for phones is great when using it as a phone, and not so great for other uses... BUT it would get you started; with no additional investment. It costs nothing to set up a YouTube channel, as long as you have an internet connection... and since you are posting here, I'd say you are good to go.

I know you have some concerns about random comments when posting on the internet, but (as far as I know) no one has actually died from embarrassment. Record some music and post away!

I have been playing for over 50 years, and last recorded something about 40 years ago. About 4 years ago, my wife asked if I'd record some music so she could have it on her phone and iPad. My first recordings were made with the mic on an iPad Mini. Looking back, they sounded pretty awful, but my wife was happy to have something on her devices. I bought the H4n Pro to get better sounding recordings. I would transfer the files from the H4n Pro to my laptop and into a DAW (digital audio workstation). It took time and effort to make it happen, but I was able to record 4 tracks, so I could do a vocal/guitar stereo track, a bass track, and a drum track. She was delighted with those results. She is the one who suggested I get the Spire Studio... what a difference! I have recorded a bunch of songs with the Spire, and what used to take me all day with the H4n Pro, I can accomplish in an hour or so.

I'm not looking to be "discovered." I played out for a lot of years, with bands, a duo, and a trio, but solo the last few decades. I do an occasional gig because it is working with people that I enjoy. I don't need the recording to support any aspirations. If you want to hear any recording I've done, look at the "Enjoying the Spire Studio" thread on this sub-forum. I particularly enjoy collaborating with my long-time friend and music partner, and the Spire Studio has made that easy for us, since we are about 1,400 miles apart.

So, probably more than you were asking about, but distilling that down to one suggestion: use what you have to record. If that doesn't please you, then considering what you want for sound, you can start spending more money. In the past couple years, I have probably spent a several grand buying stuff for recording... the other equipment for playing out (PA, amps, pedals, and a variety of guitars) is stuff I already had. In the grand scheme of things, the Spire Studio has been the best investment (for me) for recording... but, you DO need a device (phone or tablet) to get the most out of it. Then, it is a matter of climbing that learning curve with mic placement, EQ, mixing, sound enhancements, etc to get the sound you want.

Good luck with the process. When retail comes back around, go to a music store that also handles recording equipment and see what they recommend.

Jim