View Single Post
Old 01-24-2022, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Burström View Post
Hi,
I have a Dean Markley magnetic soundhole pickup which I want to use while recording, to complement the external condenser microphone I use. The sound card is actually a mixer, a Behringer X-Air X18.

With my setup I sit with my guitar facing the computer (with an external screen) and the microphones, but when doing this I get an annoying hum from the magnetic pickup channel, mostly at around 180 Hz and 450-500 Hz. Rotating the guitar 90 degrees, either vertically or horisontally, will make the hum almost disappear. I have tried to turn of the screen, but that doesn't help.

I believe the Dean Markley is a single-coil, but I also have a Harley Benton SH30 pickup which I believe is a humbucker, and I do get a noise from that as well... although not as prominent.

Any ideas what I can be? Most obvious is the electrical equipment of course, but I have tried to turn many of them off. When facing the computer with the guitar I also face north, can that affect?

Distance to the computer doesn't seem to affect the hum sound, at least not in an obvious way.

Are there any other magnetic sound hole pickups that are more resistant to this kind of problem?

Thanks in advance!
Per
Just for kicks, I think I might try getting a long extension cord and moving my entire setup outside, away from all power sources and wiring inside the walls. Powering everything from a single phase (as a single extension cord would do) and a distance away from all other sources of electomagetic flux (make sure your setup is not under (or over power lines). If the problem persists, then it may indeed be your hardware. If it disappears completely, it is something in your locaion,.

A lot of work to experiment this way, but could be illuminating.