View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Rode NT5 mics can be purchased as a pair for $429. They sound pretty good, they have perhaps a little hyped-up upper mid-range, but even the standard cardioid versions are going to pick up the fan noise from a humidifier. As others have noted, you could turn it off while recording. Regarding fan noise from a computer, you can shield the computer with sound obsorbent panels at least during recording. This is what I do...

The trouble with cardioid mics is that if you place them close to your guitar, the proximity effect will cause a bass boost that will color your sound. To avoid the proximity effect, the mics need to be at least 24" or more away from your guitar. You can buy an omni capsule for the Rode NT5 for $90 each that will avoid the proximity effect but will also pick up other noise in the studio more easily. I have used NT5 with both cardioid and omni capsules in my studio.

The best sound comes from expensive mics. Probably the flatest response mics out there for the guitar are Earthworks QTC30 mics at $1800 for a pair. From your previous comments, I am presuming these are out of your price range.

Regards, Glenn