View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I shudder when "teachers" tell people about things like mandatory neck grips, required posture, proper body position.

Thos can be suggestions but every single human body is dimensioned differently and the only rule that's real is that there are no absolute rules.

So......

Take advice and suggestions as just that. The most important thing you can do (especially after cementing your own body's technique) is to stop fighting your body. Play the way that works for you.

No one told Django he had to have five fingers !
Thanks so much for that. After developing my 'style' for over 40 years I started to get a bit paranoid. I never thought there might be a correct way to hold my thumb and rushed off to play and look at what I do. I ended up filming my thumb and to my horror I discovered it doesn't move at the 'hand joint' at all. It doesn't arch back but it does bend forward at the knuckle.

I have followed this thread thinking I was going to have to learn again. Then you said I can play the way that works for me so I'm happy again.

But seriously, with regard to pick or nail, I have always favoured the nail simply because I always have them with me just in case I get the chance to play a guitar. However, on occasion I break my thumb nail and (after crying like a baby) I wish I'd perfected the thumb pick.

Unfortunately, laziness prevents me from learning a new 'tool' so for the time my thumb is out I got over to the dark side and play electric for a bit.

YouTube