View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Maybe no one here can help, but I'd figure I'd ask. I also might already know the answer to my question, but want to confirm.

When I record a "live" midi track using my midi keyboard WITHOUT any snapping or quantization, if I record at a high tempo and play it back, the midi track plays back at a different tempo and the articulations are different than what I played live. It sounds a lot different than how it played it live. However, when I play slower, it sounds exactly like what I played live. Is this because I'm playing at a tempo faster than the session tempo? I thought that only mattered when quantizing and the recorded tempo would just fit in the session tempo. Like if I recorded at 200 bpm and the session tempo was 100 bpm, it would just be two notes per beat but still play back normal like what was recorded. I thought that if quantizing was on, it would try to fit notes in to different spots and then it would sound different.

If anyone could help, that would be great. I tried to Google and found things that were similar, but not enough to answer my question.
While many here do record only audio , there are also some people on this subform that record both midi and audio (like me), so help is quite possible

I may be able to help but first a bit more detailed info would be very helpful.

First are you recording audio and then midi or just all midi ?

What types of midi instruments are you recording ?

What DAW are you using?
Does it have ADC - automatic delay compensation ?

Are you using a click ?

Exactly what do you mean recording midi faster than the session tempo ? (unless you mean the tempo of already recorded audio)

Also how Quantizing behaves depends of the what type or setting is used .
Straight quantization moves mistimed notes to the closest grid line. Or (depending on DAW) you can set quantisation to vary the note placement to have a more humanized feel Or some DAWS offer capturing a live performance and quantizing the midi to that performance timing (It all depends on what features the DAW you are using has .

I'm guessing you are trying to record midi to already existing audio otherwise with all midi I don't see how timing could and issue as the midi performance should just lock to whatever tempo you designate regardless of what tempo you recorded it at

For example when I record midi drums I usually record it 1/2 the tempo I will want the finished session to be at, then when the midi drums are done I can just reset the session tempo and the drums are good to go

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-12-2018 at 12:36 PM.