View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Me

Default Length of warranty for small shop builders

How long should the warranty be from a small shop custom builder. Most guys offer a warranty for as long as the builder is still working as such. I recently had a conversation with a builder that offers a five year warranty. He made a compelling case that 5 years is plenty and that any problems after 5 years is from neglect and abuse, not materials of workmanship.
Most offer lifetime warranties to the original customer with limits for wear and tear, intentional and unintentional abuse. Case, tuners, and electronics generally carry the manufacturer's warranty.
The legal and accounting nightmare of a lifetime warranty make this a pretty important point for builders. It seems that many have copied what others are doing rather than giving serious consideration to this with proper legal and financial consideration.
I've rarely seen what recourse is given if the builder decides that a repair is not covered. It seems that some sort of arbitration would be worth while. I also suspect that builders have fixed countless guitars that were damaged due to neglect or abuse under warranty to maintain their very important reputation.

Do you consider the warranty when purchasing or commissioning an instrument?
If someone offers a 5 year warranty do you think that is good enough?
Would you expect a guitar with a 5 year warranty is not as well built as a guitar with a lifetime warranty?
Should it depend on the price of the instruments? (I would expect a $20K instrument to have a better warranty than a $2K instrument.)
What else are you thinking about?
What do you think and why?

(5 years is offered merely as a point of discussion. Insert any length of time you fell appropriate.)

(Edit - This was supposed to be a poll. Please indicate how long of a warranty you think is fair or that you expect.)