View Single Post
Old 02-23-2019, 12:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I agree it's double tracked. The squeeks come in slightly different places in the intro on each side. If you listen to just each side alone, the sound of the guitar isn't all that good (to me). Kind of thin and distant, like it was recorded at the neck/body, but from quite a bit far away. But when you combine the two tracks, the stereo effect makes it sound more dramatic, tho a bit of an odd sound to me. Double tracking does make things sound bigger, but I'd think it would have worked better if the raw sound wasn't so distant and squeeky.

If that's what you're going for, just place 1 mic, aimed at the neck/body joint, maybe 2 or even 3 feet away, then record a second track playing the same thing, and pan each track hard left and right.

But I'd suggest trying a stereo recording with 2 mics, one near the neck/body joint, maybe 10 inches away, the other aimed below the saddle, 10 inches away, hard pan left and right, and see if you also like that - it'd be a lot easier than double tracking everything, and you might just like the sound better.
Interesting comments from Doug Young.

I used to do a lot of double tracking on my acoustic guitars, 20-25 years ago, but I prefer what Doug has recommended these days. I have a lot of guitar recordings on my YouTube channel if you are interested in hearing my results.

In reaction to other comments, Schoeps mics are excellent microphones, but very expensive. I have never been able to make myself spend that kind of money when I have been so pleased by the sound of a couple of Rode NT5 mics. But maybe if I had spent the money on the Schoeps mics, I would already be convinced about their value. Who knows...

- Glenn