View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 01:54 PM

This is my Ibanez, 2471NT archtop, I bought it new in 1978. These guitars were handmade, and are somewhat rare.

It started out without a pickup, but I added the Johnny Smith. It features a carved spruce top, with laminated maple back and sides. Very good acoustic tone, especially with the D'Addario Chrome flats, light gauge. Electrically it sounds very much the same as it does acoustic, but with deeper bass and crisper trebles available. It's a dream to play and sounds fantastic through my BF VibroluxReverb. However, it will feed back if pushed too loud so I generally use it for non-drummer gigs. I like it for R&B, blues, folk, country, or pretty much anything you could think of. Works well finger style or flat picked.

I have also been using it for solo work, combining an external mic with the Johnny Smith pup to add little more acousticness to the mix. I run the pickup through a RedEye DI, sending direct to the board and also to the Vibrolux. Very usable sound, and a nice way to escape the UST quack blues.