View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
Most of my guitars have a jangly B strings. It just a ringy sound to it. I don't think I'd really call it fret buzz but there is definitely a ringy sound to it. Is there something in my technique of playing or re-string technique that could be causing this?
I think this is fairly common, and probably not a result of your technique. I call it "The B-String Ping".

I am fighting this same thing right now with my 2014 Gibson J-45 which is otherwise a great guitar. For me, it's an aggravating "ping" sometimes (not always), only when I strum hard (with a pick), and only with the open B-string.

I've changed-out the saddle & nut, and had the guitar professionally set-up, but the "open B ping" is still sometimes there when I strum. Here are a few things I've done to try to ameliorate the ping:

* Changed picks. I found that the ping seems to happen infrequently when I'm using a Dunlop Ultex .73 pick. As an added plus, I love the feel and sound of this pick.

* Changed strings (quite frequently). Right now I'm on a set of DR Sunbeam 12s, and the "ping frequency" seems to be low. Strings sound good too. (FYI, the pinging was unbearable with the SIT Royal Bronze strings!)

* Change strumming location. When I strum higher on the neck (say over the fretboard extension) the ping completely goes away.

* Oddly enough, I have found that when I'm getting the ping, if I detune the B-string, and then bring it back up to pitch the ping goes away. (?)

This ping is a pesky bugger...Good luck with yours!

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...