View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

So down to my last two sets of brazilian to choose from. Here was a beautiful set of wood that had great straight grain and the side had some beautiful sharp lines. how could I not love how this set looked!

I picked up this set and tapped it and it rang and rang and rang! it had a great sound to it and thought this one was noticeably better than the other two that I turned down. So obviously this was in my top two!

The other finalist was this beautiful figured set. The figure on this one was very unique and had a 3 dimensional quality to it. even the sides were freaky looking. very beautiful set of wood!

I picked up the set and again it felt nice. Really, all of them felt nice because I didn't know what I was doing and was so excited to touch and feel my top choices of wood!

Jason picked it up and tapped it and this one rang and rang and rang!

The fun thing was that Jason, his fiance, my girlfriend, and I were all in the shop playing with these four sets of wood. Jason had each of us pick our first choice of wood and wait till the end to all share our stories and thoughts. Waiting in suspense, we heard everyones thoughts and saved mine till the end. Ultimately its my guitar so it would be my choice.

both sets were beautiful and one was straight grain and the other was figured grain. I really wanted to have the straight grain guitar and on paper, if the grain is straight and tight, how could I loose?

Something was magical about the figured wood. It did ring a bit longer than the straight grained one and more than the sustain, it had a deeper tap tone. I told Jason the first time we met that I wanted a guitar with a deep haunting cavernous voice. Something that when I hit the right note, it would send shivers down my spine. When we tapped this piece of wood, it did just that. It rang forever and it had that deep deep gong type sound

Jason was so thrilled because he knew what I was going to choose. He predicted that I would narrow it down to those last two. he didn't know which one exactly, but knew it would be the two with the most sustain.

Jason emailed me later that night and said he felt that I was sad because I really seemed like I wanted that first straight grain piece. I think I was more tired from the trip and the time zone change. He said that no matter which wood I picked, they all are great sets compared to thousands of other brazilian. He said pick the one that speaks to me most and he'll build the guitar I'm looking for!

So I went for the figured piece of wood! Again, I thought the first straight grained piece was the winner. Again, I really wanted both straight grain sets. But I told myself to trust the builder and let my ears decide and had to go for the one with the best tap tone!

I thought to myself, man, this was my last choice of wood our of these sets, but it sure did ring! Then I told myself, it wasn't the last choice, but it was in the top four choices of over 30 sets to choose from! My other guitars have a bit of straight grain in them and I don't own a figured guitar. This one will be a keeper and will certainly add some spice to the collection! and of course, I'm not more of a collector, I'm more of a player

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D