View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left of Sam View Post
Hey Rex - nice looking build. You are doing a nice job with the hand tools IMO! Anyways, I've been quite nervous about how to do the radiusing. I found a method for glueing radiused braces that seems really functional. Here's a link:

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/contourtool.html

Have you seen this "3x5 cards" technique?

Good luck! Sam
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I've used that method, and variations thereof, since 1978. It was one of several methods then taught by Charles Fox.

First, however, one needs to decide what geometry one is trying to achieve. Hence my previous questions. Once one knows that, then one can select a method of achieving it.

Wow! Thanks Left of Sam and Charles!

This is exciting! It feels like it's right up my alley regarding budget and achieving correct radii.

A big question that I have which I don't think can really be answered without doing or experimenting is: After gluing up the braces (the X- brace is spruce/rosewood/spruce laminated) to the top, which is glued under tension how much spring back will occur. So if the design calls for a 12' radius on the top and a 10' radius on the bottom...Do I start with a 8-9' radius on the top and hope it springs back to 12'? Same situation for the bottom. I see the problems with following a design where measurements are taken off a finished guitar versus a design that is drawn up as the guitar is built.