View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 05:01 AM

Default Learning songs old school

I recently came across an instructional artist named Daddystovepipe. In his literature he states that there are no scale practices , just learning songs the way the venerated old bluesmen did. Scales have been the bane of my learning most of my life. I can’t relate them to the styles of music that intrigue me. Coincidentally, I’ve never played games either my whole life of any kind. It’s a mind numbing pursuit for me. I prefer to just get lost in my thoughts. Daddystovepipe claims by learning the vast repertoire he has you will soon be able to improvise different parts of songs from memory of others you’ve assimilated in your playing. His music is what I’ve searched for the five decades a guitar has frequently been in my hands. I’m putting together a large order from him this week and will immerse myself in it. No more tv watching or mindless net surfing. I’ve already made progress on one song by him. He breaks them down so thoroughly tabs go by the wayside. He has a website as well as voluminous youtube videos. Very soon my guitar playing is going to be what I’ve wanted since my dad got me a cheap Gibson electric when I was 9 following the Beatles first American tv appearance. Hopefully I’ll soon be “playing a guitar just like ringing a bell” to quote Mr. Berry!