View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Great Advice Guys.

Aloha Strummerlovin',

Great Advice Guys!

I'm in complete agreement with all the guys above touting a holistic approach to studio building - before you buy.

I mean, it makes no sense to invest in great mic's unless you've already created a viable recording space that is properly treated & a compatible signal chain that works well with the mic's you choose.

So please consider doing that first before purchasing Neumann's or any other great mic's. Room Treatment is the key. It's the biggest bang for the buck in terms of creating consistent recordings, controlling early room reflections, separating & balancing frequencies & maximixing your signal chain - especially mic's.

DIY Room Treatment does not have to be expensive, permanent & can work well as portable (you can store broadband absorbers out of the way when not using them). Check out the many "treatment' threads we've had here for info on how to make panels. Make 2-4 4"x2'x4' Owens-Corning 703 rigid fiberglass broadband absorbers & you're on your way, Strummer. I made 22 of them over three years as needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lni_4HpwmZk

I used to be a high-end "mic-aholic "- for over 35 years. I owned all of the Neumann's you mentioned at one time or another, & some of the best mic's ever made. I slowly made my way up the trough trading & selling. However, it wasn't until I fully committed to creating a well-treated space that I was able to get the most out of those great mic's. Please Don't make my mistake.

FWIW, my current main guitar recording SDC mic's are Schoeps CMC6 with 41's or any of their other modular capsules. My LDC vocal mic's are a Microtech-Gefell UM900 or a Mojave MA-200. I sold everything else off 4-1/2 years ago. No longer addicted. No longer even curious.

Good Luck! Treat That Space, Strummer! Once you're there, I'm sure that all the other mic freaks here would love to discuss the qualities of various mic's with you.

alohachris

PS: I prefer older Neumann mic's to the newer - although they are difficult to find used in great condition. I had a matched pair of mint 1972 U87's LDC's that were unreal for guitar or vocals. And I used to love the KM-84 SDC's for acoustic instruments. The newer Neumann's often have a built in upper-mid rise that you have to contend with. Still, great mic's. After you get your space treated, check out gearslutz classifieds or VintageKing for used. -alohachris-

Last edited by alohachris; 07-21-2017 at 02:38 PM.