View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 07:30 PM

Great thread. I was about to post a new thread re "why is it so difficult to play solo fingerstyle absolutely 100% flawlessly, in terms of articulation, execution and dynamics when recording, and how do the professionals like Bensusan and Renbourn manage it", when I came across this thread which seems to answer the question for me: they don't, and I'm setting the bar possibly too high.

When playing live, if you make a little mistake, like a bend which doesn't go high enough, or a beat which lasts slightly too long, there's always the good chance the punter didn't hear it, or even if they did, they can't rewind, and they don't know that what happened wasn't intentional anyway.

I've wasted so much time over the years sitting down to record one PERFECT instrumental, only for it to foul up in the final ten seconds, then doing another take, and another, in the end the performance is totally soulless and mechanical, before giving up in disgust at my lack of ability, and putting the microphones away for another six months, promising myself with more practice I'll get that perfect take. And it doesn't happen. I always thought if I edited the tracks I'd be cheating myself as I didn't think for one minute that the pro's did it.

This thread has inspired me to get that shure sm81 and the akg3000 back out, fire up the old laptop, plug in the emu0404....and just....chill. let it happen.

Thank you.