View Single Post
Old 09-15-2018, 03:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

All of these sets are within a couple of degrees of perfect quarter at the joining edge, stay within 15 degrees +/- for 4 to 5 inches, and then rollout to about 45 degrees by the outside edge. This 17" wide board appeared to have been one slice off the center cut of the enormous (by Pernambuco standards) tree it was cut from.

These sets are so grain aligned that they appear more perfect than they actually are. But that is a great quality in itself!

The board I resawed them from was cracked exactly in its heart, as has been nearly all P I've seen. Sadly, that P which did not appear to be heart cracked and so i used it, did become so afterward. None of my Pernambuco experience suggests that spontaneous cracking it likely to develop in material under 45 degrees off quarter, so while not actually perfect, these sets look great to me.

By "heart", I mean that point where the wood is dead flat sawn, should that point exist in a given board. Pernambuco is the worst culprit I've encountered in this one way: it apparently MUST not be flatsawn in a guitar.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 09-15-2018 at 05:56 PM.