View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I agree with everything else you say about the importance of experience and dedication - I only disagree with the assumption that "talent" is inborn (because I like to interpret the evidence differently, I guess). And - in the end - it's a very narrow point because, in practice, it makes no difference; except in the conclusions one might draw from that assumption.
Well, it makes a difference whether you like to admit it or not. it makes a big difference. That is not to say that people who don't have talent should not make music, or anything like that. Not at all. Hard work goes a long way.

But people who have talent have a huge advantage. But, hard work is still necessary. Nobody is born with the skill of being able to play guitar.

I get annoyed sometimes, if somebody says "you're talented" because I think to myself, "ya, I spent a lot of time practicing to get this good, I wasn't born this way." and I feel like there is no recognition for the effort I put in. That they just think I was born able to do this.

But I also recognize that they are right. I do have talent. I know that the very first day I picked up a set of drum sticks, or a bass, or a guitar, it was easier for me than for other people. I could see that. I could see people struggle, trying to do things that are obviously easy. Teachers trying to teach me to count in order to play music, when it's like "why would anyone count, when the timing is so obvious."

You know what I mean? Maybe you never noticed that, maybe you never noticed people walking into obstacles that they should clearly be seeing. But I have. Trust me, talent is a thing.

It's not the be all end all. It doesn't mean that only people with talent can make music. But it exists, whether you choose to ignore it or not.