View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
Could be. Intervals were one of the things I practiced. I'd play things like 1, 3, 1, 4, 1, 5, 1 4. At the bottom of my range and then try singing it a couple of times. Then repeat one fret higher until I got to the top of my range. Also scales, single intervals and arpeggios. Most successfully into a mic, wearing earphones and watching a tuner. Things improved but not to the point where I'd risk trying to sing unaccompanied.

Once you can actually hear your pitch the rest is just training.
There are different sorts of training though also. There is trainging yourself to recognize and name things you already hear just fine, in order to wield them more strongly. But there is also training in order to overcome a difficulty with something.

Like I mentioned, training to count, because rhythm is not as natural for you.

What I mean of intervals though, is not predicting how many intervals are between two notes, it is a bit that, but I think I never had that straight from birth. I mean, I could always put through a good guess, but the first time I sat at a piano I could ear out twinkle twinkle, perfectly on the first try. I could remember the tune though, and guess pretty good, and hit or miss a bit, until I got it, and I knew I got it.

what I meant for intervals is like.. imagine you throw two stones in a pond. One large one and one small one.

You can see that the large one is a pitch and the small one is higher pitch.

Now, you're taking about essentially, measuring how many in between pitches there are, and getting accustomed to knowing that number upon seeing both sets of ripples one after the other.

What I meant was, as these two ripples coincide with each other, they make this new interference pattern. which is the sound of an interval.

That's why, I thought maybe people might have difficulty hearing this. They would do as you said, train and hear two pitches, but not so well how they interact or something.

Or maybe it is just lack of resolution in wave patterns. They have low "sample rates". That would seem to me more plausible I guess. But I was referring to hearing the interval itself as its own sound, the interference pattern itself.

A recognisable sound. More than that though, an inherently pleasing or displeasing sort of sound almost. Which may become pleasing or displeasing based on context, but if you are too far off, then it is basically always displeasing.

There is a margin of error for everybody I think also. I mean a tempered piano is actually slight off, which is easy to live with, but compare it with a perfectly tune one, you can see the difference. it's just a few cents off though (more difference the farther from center you go), but still.