View Single Post
Old 06-02-2020, 09:58 AM

Default Wood composition? Lefty conversion Gibson L-48 archtop charlie Christian lollars

Hi folks,

I’ve had this Gibson L-48 since 2014, purchased it from the infamous Guitar Center on Sunset Blvd whilst on vacation in their vintage section. It was the only lefty there and I got it for a good price. Doesn’t get a lot of playing time as I’m not much of a jazz guitarist. They had it labelled as a Gibson L-50 upon sale, but my research shows it to be an L48 that was professionally converted into an ES-125/150 with the Charlie Christian lollar pickups. The serial number appears to be 8154 34 (images below) and Guitar Center had it labelled as a 1951 model.

I have always wondered what the main distinctions are of the L50’s and L48s, but all images of l50s I found were of the block inlay.

I am wondering if anyone can help me date this model and also determine whether or not it is an l-50 or l-48. Furthermore, does it appear to be a solid top or pressed top? Lastly, is it a spruce top with mahogany sides and maple back, or Mahogany top and sides with the maple back?

Lastly, any idea of an approximation of value for this modified version of the guitar? The workmanship is incredible.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dee

* uploaded photos to flickr: link provided below

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188714812@N05/

*note: I have since contacted Gibson and they've indicated that the guitar with serial number 8154 34 was made in 1951, but they are unable to tell me if it is an L-48 or an L-50. (#34 at the end indicates it was the 34th guitar produced on that day out of 40. Gibson didn’t start using the letter prefix on these models until 1952, so mine was the last production year with this type of serial number. I assume if we can determine if the top is carved or laminated it will indicate if this is an L-48 or L-50.

Still trying to determine wood composition (especially top).

Last edited by G55ddl; 06-03-2020 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Photo link