View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)
Default NGD! Eastman AR805

As promised, here are a few pics.

This guitar is definitely a keeper! She has the bark, clarity and snap one would expect from an archtop. However, she has more acoustic presence, harmonic depth and a good bit more sustain than many I've tried (including pricey examples). She's as loud as my custom flattops w/ lots of headroom...overall an aggressive axe with a sensitive side. It came with a nice hardshell case, as well.

I had a nice Godin 5th Ave a number of years ago (bought it used and nicely set up). This Eastman has everything I liked about the Godin and so much more. Same level of acoustic presence, but more refined and resonant.

I have to say this guitar has much more depth and nuance to its voice than ANYTHING I played recently in the $500-$800 range. The playability is far superior, as well.

I'm a happy camper...

EDIT: The neck profile is very functional...sort of a medium D or C with a 1 3/4" nut. Feels very natural to me as a flattop player. Definitely not a baseball bat, not a crazy vintage V, nor a low profile shredder (Eddie Van Archtop?).

This guitar is definitely going to have me brushing up on my flatpicking. Love the picking *snap* of this guitar! I've been concentrating on flattop fingerstyle (so much to learn!) for several years.

I have to put in a plug for Django Books and Michael Horowitz...great guy with whom to do business. He has a lot of knowledge and experience to share, and is very helpful. I called him a few months back thinking about a Gypsy Jazz guitar, but after he gave me the ins and outs of of both GJs and Archtops, I decided an archtop was a better fit. He put no pressure on me, let me take my time. I finally pulled the trigger and feel good about it.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually

Last edited by OddManOut; 03-21-2019 at 06:53 PM.