View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
It seems that the common belief is that for some reason being blessed with perfect pitch curses that person with pain if they hear a pitch that isn't perfect. Why would it be anymore painful to hear a note out of tune for that person then for the rest of us? I can certainly hear notes that might not be in tune, depending on context, it doesn't cause me pain. Can't most of us hear a klinker? And out of tune in relation to what? Jazz players purposely play discordant notes. Is it impossible for persons with perfect pitch to listen to Jazz? Just thinking about it.
I don't know about pain, but it can create practical problems. I sing tenor in a chorus where one of the other tenors has perfect pitch. This is a very good chorus, and we usually stay very close to concert pitch once we start a piece. But we do commonly drift just a few cents off. My tenor colleague has trouble staying with us when this happens. He tends to stick to the true pitch, even when that has become relatively sharp (or more rarely, flat), and that can futz up the blend. He understands the problem and does his best to meet us halfway, but he finds it genuinely hard.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert