View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

As other posts have stated...I absolutely love Gretsch guitars also. I’m with Steve. The Electromatics are one of the all around best buys in the guitar world.

My 5620T-CB is outstanding. Thinner profile body. Cats eye instead of f-holes. Killer pickups. Solid spruce centerblock. Sexy black! Honestly the only downside has been the weight. But it’s not unbearable. Just a bit heavy. But overall it’s one of my favorite players and I use it live at least once a week.

My new 5230T-FT Jet has been awesome also. Both are Electromatics. With the 5620 being double the costs of the 5230...with the former being made in Korea and the latter in China...I honestly am not sure I see the $$ difference.

Build quality on both is fantastic. I’d say the possible cost difference could be related to better hardware (a B-70 instead of a 50, a little better tuners, etc.), maybe...maybe better wiring. Honestly I’ve not changed anything on the 5620 other than adding the Biggsfix and Squishy Spring so I can really speak to wiring. But as to build quality...both are truly outstanding.

For my 5230 I am awaiting parts for a re-wire, new jack, switch, and a Reverend roller bridge (figured it’s worth the $20) as the original bridge has the typical rattles. If it doesn’t work out with the bridge no harm no foul. I’ll look into other options. I’ve also ordered a TUSQ nut, and have installed locking tuners.

Finally, I’ve installed a “Biggsfix” and “Squishy Spring” on it as well.
Both guitars really benefitted from these.

I’m sure you’ll love your new addition 62. I feel like Gretsch guitars are addicting. I had absolutely NO intention of buying another guitar as I already have more than enough. But once I saw the 5230...things changed. While I love my Reverend, and 87 E series Strat...they’re not getting the playing time that my Gretsch’s get.

We’d love to see pics. I hope your new addition brings you many years of fun and joy.

Last edited by PTony; 02-20-2019 at 11:33 PM.