View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
I'm not looking for "a bright sound", this is a very warm/soft souding guitar, and I'm looking for strings that could help accentuate the punch and balance of it... which would, in fact, "balance" the tone- not make it "bright".

Think of it this way:

Most of you put strings on, and they are kinda' bright to start with, then they "settle in" nicely. then they get dull.

With THIS guitar, new strings ARE (sound) "settled in nicely", and by a week later (after they actually settle in) they sound dead (they are not dead; I don't play acoustic that much).

Which is why Elixirs (coated strings) work well with THIS guitar. But I don't like the slightly higher tension of the Elixirs. I wonder if Martin Lifespans are more "normal" tension (not as stiff as the Elixir Nanos)?
Martin PB light sets have more total tension than Elixir Nano light. Maybe something with the slicker feel bothering you.

Bronze strings sets have slightly lower tension the PB sets.

If you want more punch and clarity play a little closer to the bridge. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RpggOr2p74

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 01-16-2019 at 01:40 PM.