View Single Post
Old 12-27-2018, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
What something is "worth" is a relative and a personal thing. If I had tons of disposable income, then sure, it would be totally "worth" another two grand for Brazilian. But since two grand is the very top of my budget for any guitar, it wouldn't be "worth" it to me to sell all my guitars just for one Braz -- no matter how great it sounded.
I have played a lot of Brazilian rosewood guitars over the years that didn’t do it for me, but not because the wood wasn’t something special . . but more because I didn’t really love the work of the builders.

I know a lot of luthiers and most (not all) consider Brazilian rosewood to be the cream of the crop for flat top guitars. I own two and do believe they add a little something extra, but whether that extra is worth the premium is hard to say. That premium is usually quite high these days. It’s definitely a significantly diminishing return. A great builder is going to turn out a great guitar from any of the commonly available tonewoods. The Brazilian could be better to your ears, but it will cost a lot of money. It really depends what you’re looking for in a guitar. It isn’t automatically better, especially if your ear gravitates toward a drier sound.