View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
I have had quite a lot of minor repair work done on guitars over the years, by a highly skilled and reputable luthier, and from what I know from him it would be impossible to match the grain pattern of the side when plugging holes.

I didn't say it would be a complete match...I said it could be gotten close...which it can...I have seen it. It would be harder on Rosewood than say Mahogany or a fairly bland maple, but I have seen it done on Rosewood sided guitars where the match wasn't too far off. I have seen remarkably good matches on hole patches on vintage rosewood back and sided guitars...even spider webbed brazilian guitars. It all depends on the luthiers restoration skills...AND...the caliber and color and grain varieties of their wood stocks available to use for repair patches. Restoration patching is definitely an art form skill set in and of itself.

Remember...my first choice was to just ignore the buttons...as really...you do not see them very much at all when you hold the guitar and play, either sitting or standing. This is especially true of Taylor's ES control buttons as they are very low profile.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher