View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 03:06 PM

I think the confusion is more consumer induced than anything else, and the market is engineering its products accordingly.

First off, you can play anything on any acoustic guitar so all those choices should be immediately homogenized to a personal preference for one guitar that fits your feel and ear.

Second, of the legitimate choices there are 6 and 12 steel string guitars, and then there are nylon string guitars of the classical and cross-over variety.

Once the consumer market got itself a forum the content somehow categorized which guitars are suited to which music, builders cropped up everywhere in response to it, prices went through the roof and all of it is built on forum discussions that have no factual credibility. It's 100% preference driven and of that preference I would venture a guess that most of it is just being parroted by people who have little real experience as accomplished players with developed hand and ear skills. A very few have set the tone for what music should be played on what guitar.

I learned to play Classical Gas on a Yamaha FG230 12 string because I loved the piece and the guitar sounded good. Plus, I was very young, inexperienced and to my green hands and ears all guitars were the same, aside from the number and type of strings.

So, the choices should not be confusing if you dismiss all the forum induced profiling of music and guitars. Just get what you like, learn to play it well and go from there.