View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 04:51 PM

The best option would be for any builder to ensure that his company (sole proprirtors still should have a business licence and tax number....) has insurance for such a tragedy as death or long term disability, refered hereafter as "The Policy". There should be some level of detail regarding "the policy" written into the contract for any said guitar, signed by both the buyer and builder.
"The policy" would have to clearly state the details of the deposit system of the builder, would also have to have some verification of the builders book keeping (ensuring that deposits are put into the business account versus the personal account). Of course there would have to be a boat load more information than what I'm presenting here, but you get the jest. This might be something the builder can market as security.

Being self employed on your own would be tough. I'm self employed, and when I was working huge hours and making really good money, we made sure to put a large amount away for the days of rain (no sun, no hay as they say). I'm fortunate that a bad month or two (or a bad year for that matter) isn't going to break me. Living simply is also a necessity when self employed. It's never worth blowing the wad on something frivolous when something practical will do.

I'm sure many if not most of the 1 man shops live cheque to cheque and have little to no savings for potential issues. Most of them I'm guessing are also relying on their wood stash as their retirement fund (to some degree).

Good luck getting anyone to pay into a fund that they may never need to rely upon, just to help suppor their competition (all be it most are friendly)....car insurance is one thing but builder insurance....good luck.

Than there's the international factor....