View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 08:03 PM

From experience, I'd go for the steel string model. I own many Yamaha guitars and if you replace the 43mm factory nut with an aftermarket Tusq 43mm nut, the string spacing is a little bit wider. The steel string "silent" guitar is pretty quiet and I cannot see the nylon models being any more quiet. Also, if you primarily play steel string, I personally would not spend $600 to experiment to see if you like nylon string guitars. Stringing them is tricky. Any once you get them strung up, even if you stretch them like a steel string, the strings stretch FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER AND EVER AND NEVER STAY IN TUNE. Go for the steel.

I have owned the steel string SLG100S and it was a fine guitar. I got hard up for some cash and regrettably sold it in a pinch.

If you wanna try a nylon string, go to a music store and play one for about 10-20 minutes. The strings feel weird compared to steel. Especially the top 3 e, B and G strings. They are much larger in diameter. And the flat fretboard is way different too.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 07-22-2019 at 08:08 PM.