Thread: Rainsong review
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Rainsong review

Gotta keep it short for now, but I thought I'd share a few thoughts about the Rainsong A-WS1000 which I recently picked up to use for travel, outdoor gigs, etc.

The negatives:
  • The neck is super slim (from front to back... it's still a 1 3/4" nut). Slimmer than any guitar 've ever played, in fact--even electrics. It'll take some getting used to, but it's not going to be a problem.
  • The "binding" between the top and the back/side piece has an edge to it... it's not flush with the body. This is by design, not a flaw in this particular guitar. Not a big deal, but worth mentioning.
  • The top of mine (which is red) has a couple of spots on the top where the graphite/carbon fiber is visible underneath the red enamel. Not very noticeable, and purely cosmetic... but still the sort of thing that's likely to bother a finicky buyer.

The positives:
  • The sound is much better tha I expected. It doesn't sound like a wood guitar, but it doesn't sound as different as I expected, either.
  • The sustain is fantastic. I think this is why I've heard people compare Rainsongs to pianos. The notes ring longer, and for much of the music I play, the sustain adds some of the sweetness that I'm used to getting from tonewoods.
  • The neck and tuning are perfectly stable. I can switch between DADGAD to CGCGCD in a matter of seconds and not have to fine-tune as the neck adjusts to the increase or decrease in tension. Awesome!

Of course, since the Rainsong isn't wood, I can also leave it out on the stand or take it outside during the summer here in Atlanta without worrying about it. It'll be the perfect "songwriting guitar" to pick up in an instant and take along wherever I go.

So far, I'm very impressed and pleased.

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com