View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Yes Jerry, I've found that the dreadnought size and shape seems to work particularly well with carbon fiber in general, and all things being equal tends to impart a more "woodlike" tonal balance. Trouble is it's a size and shape that doesn't work for me anatomically.

I just visited a shop here in Connecticut that had a wide variety of Rainsongs available to audition and the results were interesting. My favorite, and probably my pick among all of the CF guitars I've ever played, was a CO-WS1005 12 fret concert model with the offset soundhole. Very warm and the most like my high-end wooden guitars I've yet heard. Perhaps it's the offset soundhole affecting the tonal balance that reaches the player's ears that accounts for it, but it sounded great. My number 2 was the Al Petteway which oddly enough sounded warmer than the CH-OM1000ns which is the same body size and has the same concert top but with hybrid back and sides (the Petteway is all carbon fiber). Both the original and the Black Ice models didn't come close to either for me and quickly fell out of the competition. Unfortunately he didn't have any 14 fret, all Hybrid H or S models to compare. I would have bought the CO-1005 right then and there but I do prefer 14 frets so I'm holding off, but it's hard to imagine a better sounding CF guitar than that CO-1005. I wish they offered it with a K&K or an Anthem like they do with the CH models. By the way, has anyone compared those two pickups in their CF guitar?