View Single Post
Old 01-13-2022, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young25 View Post
2c would be great! It's the sharp 10c on the 12th fret and up on the A string that is killing me. I could live with tuning the E slightly flat to get everything else a bit closer..but the A is a bit of a deal breaker.

I went to another reputable shop today in Socal and they did a quick measurement on the relief and said it seemed okay. No value was given to me though. They said they would probably only adjust the nut to bring the action down but that probably wouldn't affect the intonation that much.

Part of me thinks I need to find a shop/luthier that to an extent cares about these fine details? Both shops I've been to have told me the same "intonation is set from the factory" and "Acoustics are never perfectly in tune." I'm not sure I've found a place that wanted to sit down and look at the problem in depth and solve it.

In any case, I think unfortunately this guitar is going to have to get shipped back. I can't really afford to be driving around to different shops and not playing a guitar that will hopefully find a fix.

Thanks all for your insight and help. If anything good pops up, I'll be sure to update the thread.
I think you’re probably making the right decision, that is to return the guitar. You presumably paid a significant amount of money for this instrument and shouldn’t need to be trying to resolve the issue yourself at a cost to your time.

Acoustic guitar setup requires both knowledge and skill, and on an instrument of this calibre everything should be just right. A good tech or luthier would have been able to identify the issue quickly to determine whether or not it was a setup problem, a technique issue, or the less possibility that the saddle placement is incorrect.

One last thing: don’t let this out you off Lowden. I’ve never encountered this problem, in fact the Lowden’s I have owned have had excellent intonation, in part I suspect because of the split saddle. The O models are particularly special, offering a very unique sound for finger style playing, full of overtones and wonderful sustain.

All the best,