View Single Post
Old 08-24-2015, 09:37 AM

I have no experience with the HOG/POG. I do own and use the Boss OC3 with an acoustic. What I like about it, besides its polyphony, is the low pass filter which easily allows you to limit the effect to the lowest/lower strings selected. Although this filter isn't quite as steep as I'd really like, I find it easy to limit the most obvious octave effect to notes below roughly D4 (4th string open D) or a bit lower, depending on my taste. The good news is that these are quite a bit cheaper than the HOGs.

Oh, one other thing, the OC3 provides separate routing for both the octave and direct signal, both of which I run to a mixer, allowing handy leveling of the octave input. I've experimented with splitting the signal before the pedal in order to process the octave signal with the direct and add back into the mix. This provides a punchier, more natural, bass-like sound. The octave sounds, as you might guess, are not very natural without the rest of the string input. For most circumstances, however, being able to finely mix the octave signal works pretty well.

'98 Martin HD-28VR, '98 Bourgeois Martin Simpson European, '98 Collings CJmha