View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
I missed the link to the recording. When I listened to it (great playing, BTW) I could hear the noise and it does sound like ambient room noise and the mic being too far away.
I am afraid I need to learn basics around home recording. I have been experimenting a bit more and it is quite so that brining the mic to closer proximity to the instrument does wonders. Also recording dry as Will suggested was a good approach which I think we should consider.

I sat the other night in the dark (when the family went to sleep) on a chair and just listened to the silence. After a while when the ears adapted to the silence I did indeed hear little noises all the way from the fridge and maybe other places. Funny thing, it is like when you are looking at the stars, where first your eyes have to adapt to the darkness before you see far distant objects. At any rate, I still think that the mic at this price range has a self noise which you just can't get around, specially if you as you called it take out the 10db pad.

I have really come to realize how difficult it really is to record acoustic instruments, specially if you are doing things where the sound dynamics change. Percussive stuff are really difficult to capture without overloading. As Doug suggested you can start at a level without overloading but then again the rest of the parts sound very distanced. Further boosting the output level brings the noise up.

But one thing is for sure and that is that I have always had way too much distance between the guitar and the microphone. I was actually quite content with the DPA sound directly to the sound card but the darn thing is just so much in the way. The guys at Miniflex are sending me a new model 2 as the old one had some defects. Adding a low level of K&K may just give a nice full sound (although not very representative of the acoustic sound of the instrument).

http://www.youtube.com/user/Frankensmile/videos

Guitars:

1) Greenfield G1 fanned fret (Moon spruce /Malaysian blackwood)

2) Furch Little Jane

3) Loef 12 string high strung parlour