View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Kirk View Post
The recording is ok, I hear the hiss when you stop playing the guitar.

What it sounds more like to me is similar to what happens when you put reverb before a compressor in an electric guitar's signal chain, the reverb is there but the compressor boosts both the signal that you don't want (the background noise) and such.

It sounds like what little background noise is there is being made much more obnoxious by the reverb, because the reverb is being added to everything thus bringing it more to the ear's attention. does that make sense?

Try recording it without any reverb and see if the problem persists, if it disappears then there you go. But if it's still present then we'll go from there.

An example, here's an old video of mine that I did about 2 years back. There is some background noise from being outside, however I didn't add any reverb to the recording, if I added reverb the background noise would be almost unbearable because the reverb would be present even on the noise of the bugs in the trees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=einfMMYMiVo
Thanks for sharing your video clip. I hear that it is a similar kind of thing in the background.

I did try that with the reverb after I read your input. I must say that the reverb did not affect the noise at all. However, taking the compression away certainly did reduce it a bit more.

Maybe the software effects cause problem in this respect. Perhaps using an external preamp/effect might be better (eg TC electronic G-natural or equivalent)?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Frankensmile/videos

Guitars:

1) Greenfield G1 fanned fret (Moon spruce /Malaysian blackwood)

2) Furch Little Jane

3) Loef 12 string high strung parlour