View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

I'm a newbie, so I don't have any helpful advice, but perhaps can offer a perspective. The Recording sub forum of AGF is more helpful to me than most of the well known recording forums (GS, for example.) You guys give diverse advice, for sure, but not polar opposite. I read a ton, asked a few questions and felt I received very helpful advice from you guys. Here's where I ended up:

1) I started with room treatment. I didn't want to, because it isn't nearly as cool as shopping mics, but you all kept saying what a big deal it is. Now I walk into my home office and feel a change in my ears. Its a bit spooky, but it is almost like walking into a serene cave.

2) I bought two mics -an ADK A6 based on overwhelming advice here, and a CAD M9 for second acoustic and mostly for vocal. They are far above the MXL 990 mics I borrowed from a friend. That A6 is really something special and picks up the overtones of my Mcilroy well.

3) First Gen preowned Apogee Duet into Garage Band. Thanks Chris - that one came directly from your many posts.

As for the actual recording....well, I've been playing guitar for years but recording myself is definitely schooling me. For some reason, the way I strike the A string with my thumb is very different from E and strings. My tempo is not as rock solid as I thought. Several little things like this.....Its been a good learning experience.

I think my next big leap is to learn about mastering and appropriate use of compression and EQ.

I think I should also decide soon if I should leap to Logic Pro or stick with GB.

Overall, its a lot of fun....that is until I get up early this morn to record before the kids are up and find some sort of heat exchange fan running that I can't seem to shut off!