View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 09:43 PM

Playing 6 Years... I Know About 3 Songs
And no it's not a matter of I learned them and then forgot them. (Except when I stopped playing Classical.)

I began learning guitar by learning classical. My teacher was bad and I didn't learn anything at all, and everything was confusing. I simply went through the songs as fast as the teacher could make me. I didn't thoroughly learn the songs -- I just had to be able to go through them. It didn't matter if there were all kinds of mistakes. In other words, this was a waste of 3 years.

I like your post...really do I think many of us may feel the same way. I can relate to a lot of what you said. My disadvantage is my singing voice is not good. I read tab but not notes and from memory maybe can play 5 or 6 songs. Now with the tabs in front me maybe 15 or more songs I can play..Like you took lessons this when I was young but didn't learn anything the guy just took the money and spent more time talking than teaching. When I hit 50 after many years of not playing I started again.. I do it to enjoy myself no plains at my age of studying anything. The people I know who play on stage and a few make a living doing it studied music and can read music. The lucky few who have the gift of playing by ear I envy they make it look easy.. All I know after being back at it for 7 years is I do it for the love of guitar music and I keep trying. It is good to here someone else who works at it but it's not easy for either. Thanks for the honesty.