View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 08:55 AM

Thanks, Frank. And to everyone else. This truly is a great forum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
JohnPR covered a great deal of what I was going to say. The high voice=passion thing is something we've culturally learned. Culturally we most often "read" lower voices as deadpan. This actually can work if the words you're singing are shocking, disturbing, or dire. See Johnny Cash, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits as has been suggested above. If one sings "I shot a man in Denver just to watch him die." as an excitable boy the character is sort of a jumpy neurotic (see Talking Heads/David Byrne singing "Pycho Killer") if one sings it like Johnny Cash, it's just the cold facts.

Since you're not performing for audiences this expectation from the original performance or conventional passionate singing is none of your concern. Sounds like you're playing with purpose, so you've got something interesting to play with here.

There's no law or rule against changing keys of someone else's song. Performers do it all the time, for reasons you're hip to.

Wade's suggestion of a baritone guitar is worthwhile. Even somewhat heavier strings and tuning down to D to D on a regular guitar.

I have a pitch challenged voice (see tune not in bucket) and despite this I'll often capo up to sing lower. This doesn't necessary help me find guide tones for my voice (bad) but texturally I like how that contrast sounds.