View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 10:08 AM

Ok I took a look and there’s definitely two chords in there that would take me a bit to get under my belt. Of course we all have different abilities and so what one person finds easy another may find nearly impossible. Having said that I think very generally speaking, chords shapes like the ones in that lesson are in reach of most of us, but just take a bit of time. I can say with certainty I would not get them clean in a week let alone a day! So stepping back and taking a deep breath, which it sounds like you have, can be helpful. And I agree with you if your desire is to improve as a guitarist, then avoiding the difficult parts is not going to help😉

I might recommend not spending as much time on one specific piece. Again, we’re all different and we all have opinions so take this for what it’s worth.... but I find when learning difficult chords I won’t spend more than say an hour a day. Otherwise the constant straining to finger correctly can be difficult physically as well as mentally. Patience and perseverence are so important in learning. And the reward is one day you’ll pick up the guitar and find the chords are there for you!

Last advise is to consider easing into the more difficult chords. Either capoing up on your guitar or alternately, what I do a lot, practice them on the electric. Either way will allow you to fret easier while you get “used to” the shapes themselves. Once you have the shapes down you can move down a bit at a time to stretch out for the open chord🙂

Good luck,
Jeff