View Single Post
Old 12-17-2015, 10:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Hatcher Studio '16

I'm jumping the gun a little bit starting my 2016 studio thread now but, we're just too close to the year end to start a Hatcher Studio '15 #3

I have great projects planned this coming year and nothing gets the ball rolling more than a bunch of new back and side sets. I sent a number of well seasoned billet sets out to Chris Ensor to resaw and I was very pleased with the result. So just a note for the other builders out there Chris is a great guy to work with

Here are some pictures of just the back sets. Of course, I have the matching side sets to go with them:

From the lightest to darkest woods we have curly Maple. This is very light weight wood that I'd recommend for smaller guitars:

The next is one I'm very excited about because I think it is just drop dead gorgeous. It's extremely quilted Western Big Leaf Maple. It's very hard and would work great as a small jumbo guitar. In fact, I already have a set put aside in the upcoming spec series I'm currently working on:

This one is striped mahogany from a big board I purchased years ago. It's very hard for mahogany and has great tap tones and sustain. I have enough extra to make tops, necks etc. This would make an awesome all Mahogany Greta grand auditorium so somebody order one! I'd love to make one and there isn't even an upcharge on this wood:

Finally this darkest set is Katalox also known as Mexican Royal Ebony. Although it is not a true ebony it is harder and stiffer than most ebonies and it rings with a greater pallet of tones than any ebony I've ever heard including Macassar:

Thanks for checking these out!
Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 12-17-2015 at 10:47 AM.