View Single Post
Old 11-04-2020, 04:20 AM

Default Hello!

I’m excited to follow on from my initial post with progress on this Turnstone TM model build for Martin Simpson.

Firstly – on to the headstock! The company is named after the Turnstone bird which can be seen on British shores in the winter time. It’s a migratory bird, so they can be seen all over the world depending on the season. I like the practical nature of the name – given to these little birds who like to turn over stones on the beach looking for food. They also have a notably lovely pattern displayed along their wingspan when in flight. I thought to pay homage to that in my headstock design.

On every guitar I hand carve the Turnstone bird in flight into the top of the headstock. What I particularly love about this design is that depending on the woods selected – it looks different each time!

On Martin’s guitar I am using some gorgeous flamed Sycamore (similar in properties to Maple) for the main neck, and Ebony front veneer, a spalted Beech back veneer (to tie into the rosette design) and Mahogany veneers between those layers.

On to the Brazilian Mahogany guitar back - the bracing is now on, shaped and tuned. With my instruments I choose to take the ‘active back’ approach – I really want my back to move and contribute to the overall tone of the instrument. The timber specie that I choose for my back bracing is also of critical importance to me. On this instrument, as with the guitar that Martin tried, it is made from English Cherry. Cleets are also placed down the centre seam as a reinforcement for the glued joint. As with everything I do, should a person inquisitively peer into one of my instruments, I would like them to see that the inside has just as much care and attention to detail as the outside.

In the back strip detailing, you will also see the first integration of English Oak which was a particular timber specified by Martin that he loved. Along with the black Ebony, this will follow into the wider binding scheme all around the instrument. I can’t wait to see it all come together.

The rim joining assembly has also begun with the individual tantellones being placed around the edges. That is then followed by the side support struts going in. Both of these are made out of English Cherry.

The Soundboard is signed and is the first face to be glued on to the sides. The back is then glued on after that and the box is now closed! One of my favourite parts of the process.

As a last little update – I was very excited to receive a little something in the post from Martin. His new album ‘Home Recordings’ is released on Topic Records and will be out on November 13.

Thank you for checking out the progress on this build and I look forward to the next instalment!

Many thanks also go to Daisy Tempest and Karl Heydenrych for help with photography when my hands are otherwise fully engaged!

Rosie