View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 07:27 PM

Default I messed up my neck joint - how to fix

I just realized I've built my neck joint (bolt-on) such that the top of the neck is flush with the top of the sides. That means the fingerboard cannot sit on top of the top without a gap between the fingerboard and neck.

My options at the moment are:
- Plane down the sides and the top of the neck block/ tail block the required height. This is difficult as I already have the kerfed lining on and I'm breaking the individual pieces off trying to plane. My neck block and tail block design also present some end grain to that surface, so planing that will be difficult.

- Slot the bolt holes so they can move up the thickness of the top. This would require a complicated router jig at best or a milling machine and many cases of beer to the owner.

- Somehow cut/carve off the neck block and make a new one, shifted up the required height. This one will hurt because I'm very happy with the block I've made, however it seems like the cleanest option.

- Cut a chunk out of the fingerboard to ride flush over the top : this seems like a hack and I would assume it will look ugly (especially with a bound fingerboard)

Any input on these (or other) options? I feel really dumb right now. Not the first or last time on this project, however.