View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
Honestly, I'm surprised folks are putting this much thought into it. If you don't like it, don't buy it and move on. No need to waste time grumbling about it.

Obviously, I need to follow that advice as I just replied to a thread that made me roll my eyes.

I think some of them look cool. Obviously, they are not all done in a way I find attractive but I really like some of them. In my mind, it's kind of like buying brand new vinyl records instead of actual vintage records.
I agree. I like some of them, I don't like some of them. Sort of like with NON-relic guitars. Plenty of shining new guitars are just plain ugly in my eyes, some are gorgeous. Mostly the looks don't matter to me enough to sway a buying decision, in some cases I just couldn't buy a guitar because I couldn't imagine having to look at it every day. I mean, a bunch of Gibson and Ibanez designs that were very popular among metal-heads always struck me and strike me still as horribly ugly. So I don't buy them or even consider it. And some people love them and buy them. And I think everyone is happy with that. I don't get mad about guitars I think are stupid looking or feel superior about it. I'm not sure why anyone would... I just like what I like...

That said, I did spend gratuitous cash on my Emerald acoustic, getting one with a wood veneer on the top, which cost me a few hundred more than a plain carbon version would have. Ordinarily I wouldn't do that, but I was pretty sure it was a lifetime guitar, and it was a 60th birthday present, so I sprung for it. And haven't regretted it - I'm far more sure now that it IS a lifetime guitar...