View Single Post
Old 02-02-2022, 07:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJack View Post
I've been more intentional about practicing finger style done the correct way. I'm talking John Prine style and blues, playing a melody while maintaining a steady bass. This is brutal. I keep reading things like, once it clicks, you got it. Well, for me it clicks, then it doesn't, then it does then it doesn't. I think I have some old bad habits that's hindering my progress.

Please share with me some encouraging tips. Best way to practice? a mental approach that helps you? I'm not using a thumb pick.

Thank you all
RJ,
What are the chances you'd share a video of you playing, warts & all?

I understand if it's uncomfortable. I go through it all the time with students of mine, except that they're now willing to spend money in order to get better, so they swallow their pride, and ignore the red light.

It's basically the same while I'm Facetiming with them, demonstrating the song sections, etc.

They ALWAYS do it correctly right after we hang up. In any case......

Short of you posting a video, I'll impart this: I taught myself how to fingerpick while cutting class at Berklee School of Music, which was only a ploy to avoid being drafted, but I digress.......

When I was first asked to teach fingerstyle in 1970, I was faced with a real dilemma: How to verbalize what I had intuitively internalized?

I didn't read music or tablature. I was just headstrong and determined, and I was a frustrated drummer, so I needed to be able to play with my own beat.

My epiphany was this: Fingerstyle/fingerpicking is nothing more than Notes-In-Order, or if you like: It's like a string of code.

After that it was easy; way easier & effective than 'Just watch what I'm doing' or play the thumb part until it's locked in.

It is often learned in a very mechanical/mathematical way, the aim of which is to prove to the student that it's really not magic. It can be done by just about anyone.

BUT THEN.......it has to be made to feel musical so that the magic is back!

You can keep trying to do it yourself, but at least record yourself while you're practicing. Then put the guitar down, hit play, and deal with it, honestly.

Perhaps you can give yourself the kind of feedback that an experienced outsider would give you.

Best regards,
Howard Emerson