View Single Post
Old 02-17-2015, 07:08 AM

The channel is then routed to accept the centre strip

This is a little trick Joel learnt from carpentry. Basically, he makes the inlay a touch longer than the routed channel causing the strip to bow slightly as seen in the picture. All he has to do then I push down on the bow and the inlay will fit snugly into routed channel! Sounds like sorcery to me

All glued in and cleaned up! Joel was tempted to leave it as it is - clean and simple, but he knows I like something a little bit more special, hence the emblem inlay. WOW, look at that figure pop under the finish, simply stunning!

The second channel for the emblem is routed

Aaaaand.... TADAH! The finished back! I couldn't be any happier with the outcome The only qualm I have with it is how he didn't add the finish over the main inlay! D:

And to make matters worse, Joel sent me this photo saying "I have some bad news, it looks like the back is just a bit narrow for my OM-R templates.... don't worry I will add 'wings' on to the lower bout and all will be fine " which undoubtedly sent me into panicked frenzy before I realised he had just rotated "The Tree" back 180 degrees. PHEW!