View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redavide View Post
Generally, I like reverb -- and sometimes I tend to go overboard I think. But also, I record to post on Youtube and for some reason when they get done processing a file, I can hardly hear the reverb anymore, so sometimes I overdo the reverb on purpose on the audio track to compensate for what Youtube will do to it. So when you hear the pre-Youtube audio, yes, I agree, there is too much reverb.

My room is VERY noisy. I live directly on a very, very busy square in the middle of Milan -- there are trams, buses, tons of traffic, hundreds of people and a lot of loud scooters. And my apartment has very old windows that aren't soundproof at all. Couldn't be a worse place for noise.

"Tools for final production"? Could you be more specific? I mix with Cubase and don't do anything after that . . .

I'd love for you to take a crack at a demo mix . . .
There have been numerous posts with good information and advice. Your original question was how to spend $2,000 to upgrade your recording studio. Given the information you have provided, I would suggest the following:

1) Room. Your room sucks (you said this ). The room is very important. So, mitigating your room is the first thing to do. Here's how you can do it. First, record at night when the outside ambient noise is less. Second, learn how to record with a pair of mics that are close to the guitar. That will lower the relative ambient noise, but you will have to add a bass rolloff at some point to tame the proximity effect (no big deal). Third, build some 4' x 2' x 4" bass traps/broad band absorbers. Six or eight will help quite a bit. If your DIY, you'll spend about $300 or so.

2) Mics. Add a second AT 4041. Cost $300 new, about half that for used. This will help with stereo imaging and realism.

3) Interface. Lose the Lambada and get a better interface. Apogee, RME and others make very decent 2 channel units for about $500 - $600.

4) Monitors. Lose the Roland monitors. Near field monitors are so important. Spend as much as you can here, maybe as much as $1,000.

5) Reverb. Lose the Lexicon. You can add reverb via software plugins (that are often free with the software you have). Learn about eq, limiters and other software-based plug-in tools. Use them sparingly, but use them.

With the additional funds you would get from selling your current interface, the Roland monitors and the Lexi, you should have funds remaining.

Finally, spend the time it takes to learn how to use the gear. Consider spending hundreds of hours with reading, experimenting and testing things.