View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Just to sound like a broken record :-), this was the point of the exercise I suggested. Go thru that process of trying to replicate a reference recording you like, and identify what is missing, then you'll have a good idea of what (if anything) you need to upgrade.

I have certain reference recordings (for example some by Gerhard, Huttlinger, Emerson) I really like the sound of. I have done some tweaking pre and post recording to try and approach those sounds. Of course it never quite does. I don't know that it should even given that I am recording on a different guitar. For example, just to give an extreme case, trying to match up to the sound of a classical guitar recording when I am playing a steel string. But of course I know what you mean in general. Lately I am happy to get a recording that sounds to me like the guitar I am recording, that I can go back later and listen to and not have to just guess what guitar I was recording since much of the character of that particular guitar was lost in the recording process. I like to listen back and think, wow that captured that guitar's character. Now post recording I may want to tweak things for a bigger than life sound, but at least at the start there was some accuracy to real life in the recording.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above