Thread: The key to keys
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I don't know if they have to be that good... I do it all the time. I find I have to tweak my tuning slightly to make each key sound the best, at least on the open strings. I know it's a compromise once I start fretting but I figure I can at least start closer.
I meant to tune the guitar using fretting finger pressure as you play (pulling strings sharp or pushing them flat).

What you're talking about is a little different - although you still need good ears for that. It's never a good idea to tune to open strings, unless your guitar is perfectly set up. Fretting makes a difference.

Personally I always go with equal temperament (i.e.a tuner) checking random fretted notes, because I play many different chord shapes with different intervals between the strings. You probably do the same - - but that makes nonsense of any "just" intonation overall. You can only play in pure tuning if you only play one kind of chord shape, so you always have the same intervals across the strings. (I.e., it's quite easy in slide guitar open tuning.) You can't even tune to one pure key on guitar, unless you really restrict the chord shapes you use - or are very good at pushing/pulling some chords in and out.