View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 04:39 PM
Guitar Gourmet

The original radio goal was 2.5 minutes. In 1975, Linda Ronstadt's cover of "When Will I Be Loved?" ran 2:05 and left people wanting more, which is a great goal. The DJs loved it. Eventually, standard song length moved up to 3:00. In 1977, Dave Mason hat a hit with "We Just Disagree" at 3:02. In 1978, Genesis had a hit with "Follow You, Follow Me" at 4:01. Meanwhile, Joe Walsh's band Barnstorm had a 5:15 hit with "Rocky Mountain Way" in 1973, but DJs usually stomped all over the coda solo.

But we are talking about singles-based radio, here. In the FM, Album rock genre, the Allman Brothers were cranking out much longer tunes. In 1970, their first hit-oriented, shorter song ("Revival" - 4:09) topped out at #92 in its three-week run on the singles charts but their albums were played front-to-back on FM Album Rock stations.

What you give away when you go above air lengths is air time. If you aren't seeking air time, length is down to whatever your audience is willing to sit through. The last vocal single-type song I wrote came out at 2:52. My instrumentals typically run a little longer.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)