View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Just a quick reply as I have another job on the go.

The cones in a tricone are only held down by the pressure of the strings. They are free to 'float' in the cone well. During play, and with the strings at tension, the cones will not move. However, if someone takes all the strings off to undertake a string change then the cone assembly can move. In fact if you picked up the guitar and held it in a playing position with all the strings off then the bridge and cone assembly will most certainly fall completely out of place.

This is not a show stopper as it is easy to reposition everything.

However, it is best to change the strings one at a time when you put on a new set.

On some tricones (not National Resophonics) the neck angle may be too weak to create enough downpressure to hold the cones effectively in place - particularly if lighter gauge strings or a low action are used. A good check is to look over the tail of the guitar towards the bridge. The strings should climb visibly from the tailpiece to the saddle. The steeper this climb the more downpressure exerted on the cones.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.