View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
I have heard nice things about ADK...but you don't see that many comparison videos, or reviews on them.
I looked them up and it seems like they use many quality components. But who makes their capsule, do you know?
I am reasonably familiar with the sounds of a 67, 47 & 49....but for some reason I have not experienced the famed 251 tone. Can you describe what it is about this mic that you like.
I was hoping to go to Vintage King and demo their large collection of LDC for Voice. They have a nice room with mics all in a row so you can go right down the line and hear them. But of course, that is not possible now, Until Covid -19 lifts.
In truth, I was willing to invest in a great pair of Schoeps. It seems nothing else satisfied me for my guitar. Would prefer not to invest in a expensive vocal mic. That is why the possibility of a tube mic pre has some interest. A much less expensive way to go. However, as it is with all things...there are some things that just can not be truly duplicated. Actually with most all things. No substitutes for the real deal.
When I set out to look into a tube mic. (about a 4 year process) I had had the opportunity to sing into and watch an extensive shootout in a Java Jive Studio outside Nashville, which included a vintage U47 and was very impressed with its sound. So I had assumed I would be getting a modern (i.e. less expensive) either U47 or U67 based mic.

I don't remember exact details but during that search became aware of ADK through an article where famed Producer Chuck Ainlay said something to the effect that he could not hear any difference between an ADK Z Mod 251 and a vintage Telefunken ELAM 251 he was auditioning.

I did not think much about it at the time. Couple years later I found out my local independent and favorite Pro Audio store/recording studio (from which I have purchased most of my gear) had become an ADK dealer .

When I did and in studio shootout of my Brauner and the ADK's 47-67and the 251 it became clear that on my voice the 251 (upper baritone lower tenor) had a slight bit more presence in the high end and was a tad bit more flattering overall IMO. The 47 was a bit darker, the 67 was a bit smoother, but the 251 just had that tiny little bit, something extra. I have some files of that shootout of the Brauner and ADK 251 and 67 (Lost the 47 file somehow and I dont remember the pre ) BUT I will post some clips later today or tomorrow

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4