View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Yes, I have the 'History of...' book but memory failed me with the Yoko connection. Let me have a look. Yes, you're right. The Lennons were on holiday in Japan when John visited Yamaha and discussed using Maki-e. A hotel meeting was arranged and the 'Dragon' was born. Apparently using Maki-e involves kilning the piece to be decorated in extremely high humidity, which poses obvious problems.

Hey Andrew...yeah GREAT book!

I think I will copy that section about John's Dragon here into this thread, just so folks can get an idea of what Yamaha Custom is all about.

Lest they doubt Yamaha's abilities to build toe to toe with the very best boutique and luthier makers.

It is too bad that there are not better pictures of The Dragon.

Notice too in that book that Bruce Springsteen was also playing a Yamaha mid jumbo, just like Paul Simon's back then, around the Nebraska album time.

So at one point in the 70's/80's, they had John Lennon, Bob Dylan, James Taylor, John Denver, Jimmy Paige, Bruce Springsteen, Paul Simon, and Bert Jansch playing their steel string acoustics...and still they felt no great need to push into the upper end acoustic guitar market here in North American, or Europe.

Too bad for all of us who did not get to fully experience all the amazing instruments that Yamaha was/is capable of making.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher

Last edited by mcduffnw; 11-19-2019 at 04:59 PM. Reason: add content